Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Bottom of the Barrel

Many years ago a book came out that featured the above block.  The fun part was that you constructed an actual quilt of squares and a border and then using a specially marked template... cut it up and sewed it all back together again.  That first cut on the quilt was hard to make!  I've made several  large quilts, some baby quilts, table runners and then made this one thinking to myself...I'll never make one this small again.  but........
Primitive Gatherings patterns came out with the square quilt and included the template with the pattern.  They call it "Itty Bitty Primitive Pinwheels".  We called the technique ..."Magic Pinwheel".  My favorite quilt shop, Calico Hutch, had kits made up so I snatched one!  (I did pay for it.)  After making the first one, there was enough to make the second one.  (My favorite of the two.)  But.............
then my "what if" started kicking in.  Made the larger one.  In person the twisters kind of blurred together as some of the prints are too big for this small a project.  So...what if I used more mottled fabrics...but I should have used a lighter first border as some of the outer twisters blend in with that first little border.  But.....
then I tried this one.  The quilt of squares is the size the little one is before cutting it apart!  I didn't think this one would turn out at all as it has earth tones and brights and we all know....they don't mix.  But I liked the effect.  If I had used all brights nothing would have stood out.  The first quilt started with 2 1/2" squares.  The little template measures 1 1/2".  That little template is worth it's weight in gold!  If you hurry...you can probably still get the kit and pattern at the Hutch!!    Jolyn  (tell them I sent you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment